Skip to main content

Reasons for Thanksgiving

With the conclusion of this week, we’re moving into what many people consider “Thanksgiving Week.”

Personally speaking, it’s great timing. The word “thankful” means “full of thanks,” and I’ve been feeling particularly grateful -- full of thanks -- lately. Let me name a few:

First, as most of you know, tomorrow we have the honor of conducting the funeral service for Bob Twigg, who died Monday night after a long and valiant fight against lung cancer.

  • I’m grateful that I got to know Bob well over the past five or six years.
  • I’m grateful for several long conversations we had when we spent a week together in New Orleans doing Katrina relief.
  • I’m grateful for the way he lived his life, and even for the way he died -- consciously choosing to “live, laugh, and love” as much as he could, each day, every day.
  • And I’m grateful, as Bob was, for living in a free country. As I’ll probably say tomorrow in the homily, one of the things his wife BJ told me in planning the service is that “Bob loved the fact that he lived in a free country.” Bob was a newspaperman, a journalist, and it’s been my experience that journalists are uniquely patriotic people: because their bread and butter is freedom of the press, they appreciate, perhaps better than the rest of us, the tremendous freedoms of speech that Americans enjoy.

Second, as most of you know, Sunday evening at 5:00 p.m. is our annual “Celebration of Giving” potluck supper at Ida Lee, celebrating the conclusion of our Annual Giving campaign. The purpose of the potluck is to hit the pause button in our busy church life for one evening in order to give thanks to God for the place, and people, called “St. James’ Episcopal Church.”

  • I’m grateful for the place called St. James’ Episcopal Church -- for the generosity and foresight of previous generations that allow us to use and enjoy the gorgeous physical plant we’ve inherited from them….and I’m equally grateful for the opportunity God has given us to be generous to future generations by leaving this place bigger and better for them to use and enjoy.
  • Even more so, I’m grateful for the people who are St. James’ Episcopal Church -- for the deep love that parishioners have for one another and for the way people look out for one another.
  • I’m grateful for the generous response we’re seeing so far in this year’s giving campaigns. While we’re encouraged with that response, we need a strong finish this Sunday -- the last Sunday of the fall campaign -- in order to be able to declare success. (Please, those of you who have not yet pledged, do so by Sunday, either by pledging on-line, or by placing your pledge card in the offertory plate on Sunday morning, or by emailing our Financial Administrator Sheri Nelson at sheri@stjamesleesburg.org before Sunday noon.)
Third, personally speaking, I’m grateful for all that happens Thanksgiving Week:
  • I’m grateful for the fact that my wife Mary will have a wonderful “five-day weekend” from teaching school;
  • I’m grateful that son Graham will be making his first long weekend visit home since going off to college;
  • I’m grateful that all five of us as a family have relaxing time together to look forward to as well as enjoying Thanksgiving Day customs with friends in Bethesda.
I am grateful that the Thanksgiving Feast is an “outward and visible sign” of the many, countless, abundant blessings that God has showered upon my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

The Best Posture of this Country

A sermon preached September 6, 2015

The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal Falls Church, Virginia
James 2:1-17 Mark 7:24-37
In case you’re confused by the service leaflet, where it says Kelly is supposed to be preaching today, well, she was, and she was planning to. But yesterday she came down with the stomach flu, and of course we encouraged her to stay home until she’s 100%.  
(And to think I came this close to getting out of having to preach on a couple of very tough passages…)
(Kelly’s sermon, by the way, was written well ahead of time and is, as we have already come to expect, excellent. And inspiring – I was inspired reading it.* Hard copies are available, and will be made available on line.)  
What you’re going to get from me today is a little different than a normal sermon.
Today I want to tell you a story – a bit of my own family history -- and then read you a poem. And then show you how I think that story and the poem relate to today’s lessons and to current events.