Skip to main content

Our Liberation -- what the poor have to offer us


About twenty four hours from now, I’ll be landing, along with nine other St. James’ parishioners, in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. We’ll load up for a three- or four-hour drive to far western Honduras near the Guatemalan border, where we’ll spend a week working alongside Honduran villagers digging trench lines and laying PVC pipes which will eventually carry clean, drinkable water directly to their village. Next week, another group of nine St. James’ parishioners will undertake the same project, for a total of 18 St. James’ folk.

As many of you know, I love this project. Partly because I love adventure, and this mission trip always has an element of adventure and surprise to it. (And even danger: Last year, I managed to lean my backpack up against a bush that contained a hornet’s nest, and unleashed a fury of hornets, some of which got up under my shirt, and in the ensuing frenzy of pain, I almost fell off the edge of the cliff we were working alongside. Luckily, I caught my balance, and no one back home had to dig up my funeral wishes file!)

Another reason I love this project is that it feels good to “do good,” and there’s a sense of accomplishment. One of the downsides of ministry (and parenting, for that matter) is that there are few “measurables” to know if you’re doing any good, or having any impact.

Businesses have quarterly profit/loss statements, sports teams have won/loss records, students have grades. In ministry and parenting, however, impact is harder to measure, because those enterprises are about less tangible, longer-term, often invisible accomplishments like faith and character formation.

So it’s nice to have a project where you can stand back at the end of the day and say, “Look! That wasn’t there at the start of the day, and I helped make it happen.”

But the real reason I love this project is something more. After all, I could get adventure and find projects to work on right here in the United States.

The real reason I love this project is not what I put into it, but what I get out of it.

This trip is not about “noblesse oblige” -- we “fortunate” people serving those “unfortunate” people.

As anyone who has ever served the poor will tell you, you get back a lot more than you give. We do not “help the poor” as if we had something and they do not; giver and recipients.

No, we work together with the economically poor because they have as much to give to us, if not more, than we have to give to them.

In other words, our liberation is bound up in theirs.

As I said in my prayer last Sunday when we commissioned those going on this mission trip, we live in a country -- certainly in a part of this country -- that has one of the highest standards of living, and one of the lowest qualities of life, in the whole world.

The villagers of far-western Honduras -- with one or two outfits of ragged clothes, dirt floors, no indoor plumbing, no electricity (let alone computers or other electronics), slim chances of their children completing what we’d call middle school (let alone high school) and an average life span of 45 -- have one of the lowest standards of living in the world.

And yet their quality of life is better than ours.

They smile. Genuine, natural, easy smiles, most of the time.

They may be busy, but they never seem to be in a hurry.

They have faith, in its truest sense, which means they know their need of God.

They carry their burden of economic poverty, but they do not carry our burden of Believing We Are In Control.

They worship the Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, not the false god of Achieving Comfort and Independence. (And guess which God loves us back, and fills us with joy?)

Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t trade places with these villagers. Not a chance. After a week, I unapologetically look forward to returning to a nice house, paved roads, and college-track kids.

But here’s the gift they give me, and the main reason I love this mission trip: at least for a while, I return a changed person. . . not taking a single sip of water, or trip to the doctor, or extra day of life, for granted. I live life a little slower, a little more mindfully, a lot more appreciatively.

It is in giving that we receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

The Best Posture of this Country

A sermon preached September 6, 2015

The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal Falls Church, Virginia
James 2:1-17 Mark 7:24-37
In case you’re confused by the service leaflet, where it says Kelly is supposed to be preaching today, well, she was, and she was planning to. But yesterday she came down with the stomach flu, and of course we encouraged her to stay home until she’s 100%.  
(And to think I came this close to getting out of having to preach on a couple of very tough passages…)
(Kelly’s sermon, by the way, was written well ahead of time and is, as we have already come to expect, excellent. And inspiring – I was inspired reading it.* Hard copies are available, and will be made available on line.)  
What you’re going to get from me today is a little different than a normal sermon.
Today I want to tell you a story – a bit of my own family history -- and then read you a poem. And then show you how I think that story and the poem relate to today’s lessons and to current events.