Skip to main content

Resolution Joy


Tis’ the season for making resolutions.

At least for those of us who welcome (and need!) a reason for making a fresh start, the beginning of a new year is the High Holy Day of Resolution-Making.

Again this year, like previous years, I’ve thought about making all the normal, predictable resolutions:

·         Lose ten pounds.  Well, actually more like fifteen pounds, since I’ve been conducting an experiment on myself since Christmas Day: to never say “no” to a Christmas cookie, chocolate, or glass of egg-nog, on the theory that I will get so sick and tired of sweets that I will be ready for and actually welcome salads, skim milk, and raw vegetables in 2012.  (This “binge” theory, by the way, has, as far as I know, absolutely no basis in any scientific research. And it probably horrifies ever y nutritionist, psychologist, or dietician out there.  And come to think of it, it doesn’t really even work: I just end up missing all that stuff even more. But it has made the past five days a lot of fun! Yum!)

·         Exercise more.   I like to run, but because we all tend to stick to doing what we like, this resolution really means adding things that I don’t like, such as stretching (I’m about as flexible as a Tea Partier negotiating on taxes) and strength training (it is embarrassing, at the bench press, to have my starting point be the bar, alone, with a goal of actually getting to add, you know, weights at either end…)

·         Stop procrastinating (which has been my goal since 1978; I’m getting to it…).

·         Spend less/save more money.  (This resolution is actually very easy: now with two sons in college, we have gone from eating out about a week to splurging about once a week on something that does not involve Ramen noodles).

But again, this year, like the past few years, I’ve had a strange experience on my way to making my resolutions.

And that’s this.  I’ve asked myself: “Wait, are those resolutions, even if you could keep them, really going to make you--or the world--a better person or place?”

And so – while keeping these resolutions at some level – I’ve been inspired, once again, to make different kinds of resolutions.  Ones that, to the degree I can keep them, will “scatter joy.”

And so – again – here are my thoughts about making “scatter joy” resolutions:

First, we make a distinction between joy and happiness.

Joy can be found in all circumstances.

Joy is an inside job.

It has virtually nothing to do with our external circumstances. People can be full of joy in prison, or hungry, or broke, or even while going through great personal tragedy.

Happiness, on the other hand, is tied to circumstances. It’s dependent on externals.  If the day is going well, we “feel happy,” but all it takes is someone to be rude to us or something going wrong, and our happiness vanishes.

That’s why changing our external circumstances in the hope that doing so will “make us happy” is foolish.  A change of circumstance is no guarantee of happiness.

So the secret to joy is to realize that joy is available to us.  That joy is a gift from God planted deep within our heart, but accessible.

It’s accessible to us when we recall not just WHO we are, but WHOSE we are: children of God. Beloved sinners.  Imperfect, but treasured people.

Joy is accessible to us when we cultivate “an attitude of gratitude,” looking for things in each day—each hour—for which we can be grateful.

And—counter-intuitive as it sounds— perhaps the easiest and most effective way to access joy is
by simply smiling.

You might want to try it:

Smile.

Smile more often.  Or at least realize the degree to which your “default mode” has become a slight frown, a tense, serious, look.  And then pause.  And smile.

Why?  Because, as Thich Nhat Hanh, the Buddhist/Christian philosopher has written,

 “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”

So, here’s to scattering joy in 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

The Best Posture of this Country

A sermon preached September 6, 2015

The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal Falls Church, Virginia
James 2:1-17 Mark 7:24-37
In case you’re confused by the service leaflet, where it says Kelly is supposed to be preaching today, well, she was, and she was planning to. But yesterday she came down with the stomach flu, and of course we encouraged her to stay home until she’s 100%.  
(And to think I came this close to getting out of having to preach on a couple of very tough passages…)
(Kelly’s sermon, by the way, was written well ahead of time and is, as we have already come to expect, excellent. And inspiring – I was inspired reading it.* Hard copies are available, and will be made available on line.)  
What you’re going to get from me today is a little different than a normal sermon.
Today I want to tell you a story – a bit of my own family history -- and then read you a poem. And then show you how I think that story and the poem relate to today’s lessons and to current events.