Skip to main content

So Long, Farewell, Godspeed


About six or seven years ago (our records are unclear if it was late 2005 or early 2006), as part of a Vestry and clergy initiative to improve communications, we happened upon the idea of sharing the weekly Sunday morning printed “Announcements” sheet in – gasp! – electronic form, so they’d appear in people’s email inboxes each Friday instead of only being distributed in hard copy.  (Such innovators we were!)

We also thought, “Well, as long as we’re sharing the Announcements each week, why don’t we also include a weekly inspirational message, written by me or one of the other clergy?” 

And so –  thanks to the technological savvy and patience of Janine Wilson – thus was born “the e-Pistle of St. James’”.

Since that time, I, with frequent pitch-hits from Pastor Mary and Reverend Kate – have written over 330 e-Pistles.

With Sunday being my last Sunday as Rector of St. James’, I’m not only handing over the keys to the church and other symbols of my ordained ministry, I’m also (symbolically) handing over the keyboard to this e-Pistle. 

Obviously, you’ll still receive the e-Pistle each week. (And, I’d predict – given that I’m a bit of a procrastinator – you’ll probably receive it a lot earlier!)

But this is my last one, my last message.

So in thinking what I’d say, I thought it’d be fun to try to summarize my e-Pistle messages over the years…or at least look for recurring themes.

Thanks to a fun (and free) software/website tool called “Wordle,” where you can cut and paste any amount of words from any document into their template and it’ll create a “word cloud” for you, it’s not as hard or time consuming as you’d think to find out what the main emphasis is in any written material.

So – again thanks to Janine, who cut and pasted almost all of my e-Pistles from over the years (over 54,000 words total in this sampling!)  – here is a “Wordle” of my e-Pistles:



Squint at it, or look at it from a distance, and three words jump out at you:



God.

People.

Time. 

So there you have it: what I’ve been trying to say each Friday over all these years:

People: take time for God!”

Or is it…

In God’s time, people!”

Or is it…

It’s time, people, for God!”

Or some combination of all three?

I’ll leave that to you to ponder.

But for now, let me say how much I appreciate your reading these messages, for your feedback, and for your words of encouragement. As almost any writer will tell you, there is no greater compliment than to hear someone say, “Wow, you put into words exactly what I was feeling…”

Thank you. It’s been a great journey. God bless, protect, heal, and enliven you. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers, and I ask that you keep me and my family in yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…