Skip to main content

Don't Make Me Poor. Or Rich?



I was recently listening to a podcast of a wonderful on-line daily prayer resource called "Pray as You Go," and the day's reflection was on part of Proverbs 30:8 -

" ...give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread."

Can you imagine yourself praying that prayer to God? Can you imagine sincerely, honestly praying,

"Dear God: please... please give me neither poverty nor riches. Don't allow me to be poor, but don't allow me to become rich, either. Please give me only what I need to get through this one day."

It's a counter-cultural (and counter-intuitive) thing to pray for.

Well, actually, only part of it is counter-cultural: I'll bet most of us would be perfectly comfortable - certainly more sincere! - praying the "please don't give me poverty" part of the prayer. (I don't know too many people who pray on a daily basis for poverty, do you?)

But listen to the author of Proverbs tell us, in the next verse, WHY he's praying this prayer, and maybe it'll make more sense:

[If I become rich] I may have too much and disown you
    and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or [if I become poor] I may steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God.

Or as Eugene Peterson paraphrases this part of Proverbs in The Message

Give me enough food to live on, 
    neither too much nor too little.
If I'm too full, I might get independent,
    saying, 'God? Who needs him?'
If I'm poor, I might steal
    and dishonor the name of my God."

That proverb was written thousands of years ago, but what a timeless truth it conveys about human nature.

On the one hand, if we are too hungry - too poor in life, we get desperate.

There's nothing wrong with feelings of occasional hunger and there is nothing wrong with being poor, but there is something wrong with being desperate, and chronic hunger, or a state of poverty tends to breed desperation. And desperation is no way to live: it makes us do things like lie, cheat, and steal that are contrary to our better nature (or to put that in more explicit Christian language, it increases our proclivity to sin.)

But on the other hand, if we are too full - too rich - we may disown God: we "get independent."

There is nothing wrong with feelings of occasional fullness, and there is nothing wrong with being rich, but there is something wrong with forgetting our dependence on God, and chronic fullness or a state of being rich tends to breed the illusion of independence: it makes us lose the higher qualities of our human nature like empathy, humility and service to others.

Or again to put that in more explicit Christian language, it increases our proclivity to sin: except this time the Sin is far more serious, because as C.S. Lewis reminded us, the sins of the heart (pride, arrogance, cold-heartedness, judgmentalism, etc.) are far more serious than the sins of the flesh (stealing).

And so - Proverbs reminds us - the way forward...the way of avoiding either danger... is to pray what Jesus taught us to pray, and that is for "our daily bread."

We're reminded to pray something like,

"God, give me enough. Not less than enough because I don't want to fall into desperation.

But not more than enough, either, because I want to remember my need for you, and my connection to others."

Is that something you could say "amen" to?

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments encouraged. In the interest of responsible dialog, those commenting must sign with their full name. To prove you're a human and not a spam-bot, I've had to include a word verification step...sorry about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…