Skip to main content

TFC E-vangelon

One of the things that people said they found helpful when I was Rector of St. James' was a weekly message I sent out, so now that I've caught my breath a tiny bit in my new position as Rector of The Falls Church Episcopal, I thought I'd carry that custom over.

It doesn't seem right to keep using the name "e-Pistle," -- St. James' is still using that, and this is a new thing in a new place anyway, so I knew I had to come up with a new name.

So...what do you think?...I landed on "TFC E-vangelon," which is a play on words on the "E" in "The Falls Church Episcopal" as well as the "e" in "evangelon" which is the Greek word for "good news."

So here is my very first "TFC E-vangelon" -- let me know what you think of it.


For today's "TFC E-vangelon," I want to share a line from the tiny little (and little-known) book (letter) in the Bible called Jude. 

It's Jude 1:2, as paraphrased by Eugene Peterson in his wonderful paraphrase of the Bible called The Message:

Relax, everything's going to be all right;
Rest, everything's coming together;
Open your hearts, love is on the way!

Maybe it's just me, but starting this new call in this new place, facing the breath-taking challenges and opportunities we as this faith community face, I've been grateful to have that scripture passage somewhere where I can see it.

Frequently.

Like on some days five or six times a day!

Because that passage reminds us of something we tend to forget:

We are not ultimately in charge.

God gives us much to do...much important work...and it is our joy to do that work as hard as we can for as long as we can.

But ultimately this (the faith community called The Falls Church Episcopal, the wider Episcopal Church/Anglican Communion, and for that matter Christianity in general) are NOT "our" church or our communities.

They are "begun, continued, and ended" in God.

In other words, God is in charge.

So:

Relax, everything's going to be all right;
Rest, everything's coming together;
Open your hearts, love is on the way!

Comments

  1. John, I do miss your E-Pistles at St. James. I used to read them every week and "critique" many back atcha:-)
    Glad to have the chance to read them again--even by another name-This week you wrote another thought-provoking piece that always seems to mirror something that happened this past week. I have always prided myself in having good time-management skills so that I would feel that "I was the one in charge of my day". However, one day this past week, despite careful planning, I left the house for a teaching assignment and forgot my Day-timer and wallet with my driver's license in it. I started to panic but then stopped, took a deep breath and asked God for calm. I then thought--all I had to do was drive carefully, observig all traffic signs and IF I would get stopped, explain my situation. The rest of the day was PEACEFUL--so I now re-learned that I only THOUGHT that I was in charge of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments encouraged. In the interest of responsible dialog, those commenting must sign with their full name. To prove you're a human and not a spam-bot, I've had to include a word verification step...sorry about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…