Skip to main content

Prayers, please...

Today, something a bit unusual - I ask for your prayers. My sister Kathy was diagnosed with cancer about nine months ago, and things took a turn for the worse about a month ago.

On Saturday, I talked to my sister's hospice nurse, who told us she had "hours or days" instead of "weeks or months" as we'd all been thinking, and thankfully, I was able, due to the generosity of a parishioner who gave me a companion ticket, to quickly fly out to Indianapolis Sunday almost immediately after church. I was able to spend good time with her Sunday evening and Monday afternoon, and even have some conversations with her, and even to pray "last rites" over her/with her.

Kathy died late Monday night/early yesterday morning, peacefully, with her husband Doug and my nephews and my niece by her side.

She (the oldest of my four siblings) was only 65, so there is an element of shock and tragedy in this - especially since this is the same family who lost their oldest daughter/my niece, Susan, to murder in 2007, just weeks before she was to be married. It will be painful to return to my hometown church again this Saturday, a place of joy growing up, but where too many of our recent memories are sad ones.

For my wife Mary and me, this week is an especially poignant one, because today we drive to Boone, North Carolina to drop Elizabeth - our third and last child -- off at Appalachian State on Friday morning to start her freshman year of college. Mary and I will then drive directly up to Indiana for the funeral.

One thing I know for sure: "God's power working in us can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine."

The way we power through such life events is not on our own power or strength or internal resources, but by leaning heavily on our family, our friends, and our faith.

Regarding our faith: people often say, "I ask your prayers," and in response, people often say, "you're in my prayers." Well, please know that I really do ask, right now, for prayers. I sense prayers. I feel buoyed by prayers. That's always true, but it's especially true in times like this.

And finally, speaking of prayers, I want to express my own prayers of gratitude, for my colleagues in ministry on staff and on The Falls Church vestry for their support, their patience, and their understanding. What an honor and blessing it is to be part of that marvelous faith community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…