Skip to main content

Why I'm not buying a Powerball ticket (but will buy a Mega-million one)

I don't have anything to say about David Bowie, so I thought I'd write about the other event people seem to be captivated by, and that's the billion-dollar Powerball lottery.

After prayerful consideration -- really, I considered it, while praying -- I decided I would NOT buy one.

It's not because I hate standing in lines, or because the odds of winning are so horrible. I believe in miracles. And despite the odds, someone (or now, likely many someones) will eventually win this thing. 

And yes, I do realize that even though the odds are nearly impossible, the only way of guaranteeing one can NOT win is by not buying a ticket. 

And that's exactly why I'm not buying a ticket.

I've decided that I honestly, sincerely, do not want to win that much money.   

Now lest you think I'm some holier-than-thou, Zen-like, Ghandi-esque or Ignatius of Loyola-esque person who is perfectly content with my already richer-than-most life -- someone who doesn't dream of having even more wealth, and of all good and fun things I could do with it, let me hasten to add: 

I sometimes buy Mega-million tickets. I even bought a Powerball ticket a few weeks ago, before the prize amounts got so big. That's because -- God forgive me -- sure, I would love to win (or earn) a million or even a couple million dollars.

But -- sorry Philosophy 101 professors -- there IS a qualitative change with a quantitative increase. The quality of the winnings -- the quality of life (or lack thereof) -- does change once the dollar amounts of the winnings get beyond a certain point. I don't know where that point is, but I do know hundreds of millions of dollars is beyond it.

I do not presume to judge anyone else who has decided they want that much money, but for me, I have decided I really do not want the changes that a billion dollars (or half a billion dollars, or a hundred million, or even tens of millions of dollars) would bring. 

That's because it's a fact that winning several hundred million dollars -- even if you give 99% of it away -- would change your life forever. 

And here's the thing:

I realized, in praying about this, that I LIKE my life. I really do. 

Actually, I love my life. 

I love my job. Not all the time, and sure it has headaches and hassles and stresses and sure, it'd be fun not to have to work, or to just do the work I wanted to do. But overall, I love my job. 

I love the house we live in. Sure, it'd be nice to own our own home, or a retirement home on some beach. But I love our house. 

I love the town we live in. Sure, it'd be nice to live in Siena, Italy for a while, or go on long vacations. But I love the city we live in. 

I love my friends, and I love the fact that the reason my friends text or FB message me or call me or ask to get together, is because they seem to actually like me and my company (or, equally possible, they like my wife and her company so much they're willing to put up with me).

I love my relative anonymity, and privacy: my wife and I can go grocery shopping, or to a movie, or to the local pub, and usually neither of us are recognized by very many people. Sure, I want my Slaying Your Goliaths: How God Can Help new book to take off, and I want to be invited to book signing parties and to conferences and retreats and to travel the country speaking about it, and I even dream of all that leading to being on a television talk show or -- heart be still -- the guest of Krista Tippett on her On Being radio show so my book could take off exponentially and that many more people could be reached through my writing. But it's the writing I want to become famous, not me, because overall, I like my relative anonymity, and privacy.  

Winning the Powerball would change all that.

It'd change my job; we'd likely have to move; it'd stress our friendships. And I'd be famous, not for my writing or the ideas and passion I share, but for being "That Multimillionaire."

In other words, winning the Powerball lottery would change my life.

And while I'd love to accentuate, and improve, and make changes IN my life, I don't want to change my life. I love it, pretty much the way it is. 

Comments

  1. Well said John! I am very glad you are so satisfied with your life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments encouraged. In the interest of responsible dialog, those commenting must sign with their full name. To prove you're a human and not a spam-bot, I've had to include a word verification step...sorry about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…