Skip to main content

Hope Trumps Demagoguery

Earlier this week, I was texting back and forth with a friend of mine who lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, mostly about about the UNC-Duke rivalry. Suddenly she writes,

"Do you remember a sermon you preached last fall about immigration? That inspired me to get involved with refugee resettlement, through Lutheran Family Services, in Raleigh. Well, I'm sitting next to a woman from Somalia whom I brought to the health department for her initial health screening. A good reminder that there are battles being fought beyond a basketball game, and that your words from the pulpit have power!"

I thanked her -- told her she made my day, in fact. Then she went on to say,

"I took a different Somalian woman to the doctor last week and she didn't speak much English. When she first got in the car, there wasn't much to say. I asked where she was from, and if her family is here with her. And she said 'my family is no more.'

"Where do you go from there? I mean, really. But when she got out of the car, she said, 'Thank you America. You save me.' And to think my biggest worry of that day was getting my daughter a spot in Lego camp. I feel deep joy in these relationships, and deep anger around the rhetoric of our potential leaders."

My response was, "I think the hope we have, when our culture shifts so radically and so fast, is to be subversives. We need to be members of a resistance movement."

"Yes," she said, "and for me that means entering into other people's suffering. And professionally, it means being a storyteller, like you did in your sermon."

The story-telling my friend is referring to is a bit of my own family history, the story of my grandfather and my mother, who immigrated to this country as refugees after World War II.

That storytelling -- that sermon -- is my best shot at addressing my friend's concern, and even anger, over the political rhetoric and demagoguery we've been hearing lately. I encourage you to read or re-read it, because it's important to address, and counter, demagoguery.

But because "it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness" it's even more important to be a subversive: like my friend, to actually DO something. To proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ, and to respect, through our actions, the dignity of every human being.

Comments

  1. I always stay with the Bridge Builders and avoid the Wall Builders and we are now contributing to a UN Fund to help Syrian refugees. My grandparents were immigrants from Italy ,as did my father two uncles and aunts also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments encouraged. In the interest of responsible dialog, those commenting must sign with their full name. To prove you're a human and not a spam-bot, I've had to include a word verification step...sorry about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…