Skip to main content

How I combat political despair (and other forms of worry)

It is, to say the least, an odd and rancorous election season. (And to think it's only June, with nearly half a year to go until November elections.)

I'm not the only one noticing that there's a palpable sense of worry in the body politic. And given all the turmoil, polarization, and rancor in the political system, it's not surprising that some people are falling into a form of dread, and even despair.

I want to address that sense of political dread. But -- don't worry -- I'm not weighing in politically, here. In fact I want to remind everyone that at The Falls Church Episcopal, when we say "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You" there is no asterisk after the "you" -- meaning ALL are welcome there: liberal and conservative, straight and gay, millionaires and homeless, life-long Christians and first-time-visitors-doubting-this-whole-religion-thing, newborn babies and octogenarians, and everyone in between each of those spectrums.

So while I'm not here weighing in on any political stance, I do want to admit that sometimes I get worried about politics. And sometimes I have to remind myself of good antidotes to political and other kinds of worry.

And on the chance that you, too, sometimes slide into political despair (or any kind of worry) -- I want to offer some of those antidotes, for your use.

The first antidote is a line from my mentor from college years, William C. (Bill) Placher. I love this quote so much I've recently made it part of my email signature.

Placher said,

"The way we best show our love to the whole world is to love with a particular passion some little part of it."

The reason I like that quote is it that it's hope-full. A lot of our feelings of despair and worry are based on a sense (valid or not) that "so much is beyond our control"  -- that there's very little we, as one person, can do.

But there's hope in taking action. We counteract discouraging feelings when do something. When we do something. And the best way show our love to the whole world -- the best way to make an impact on the community, the nation, and the world -- is to love with a particular passion some little part of it.

That sentiment is very consistent with another favorite antidote to despair and worry, and that's the line "it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness." Sure, there's lots of darkness, lots of rancor, lots of polarization. But we can light a candle, and light -- the Light of Christ-like behaviors -- overcomes darkness. Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not overcome it.

The third and final antidote to despair and worry is the line "we are a 65-mile-an-hour people, and often God is a 3-mile-an-hour God." 

That, for me, is a reminder to be both persistent and patient. It brings to mind what The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. famously said, that "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." That the United States is, on the world stage, still in its adolescence (yet driving a very powerful car). That God ain't finished with any of us yet, and that we all have much to learn -- from the Christian faith, from God, and from one another. Which leads us all the way back to persistence and patience, showing our love to the whole world by loving with a particular passion one little part of it.

And that, we can all do.

I hope this helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Irresponsible to be Silent

A sermon preached June 19, 2016 The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal, Falls Church, Virginia
(“Dear Lord: Carry your word into the most protected parts of our hearts.”)
Today I don’t have a traditional sermon. I certainly don’t have a sermon about Father’s Day, but now that I’ve mentioned it, happy Father’s Day. Today, instead of a traditional sermon, I feel led to share some things that have been on my heart this past week.
I’ve been your Rector here since August of 2012. Those of you who have been here a long time know that my preaching style is almost always “expository,” a fancy word that simply means you take a passage of scripture, and having studied it during the week, you show – or expose – its meaning and relevance as best you can, and then you sit down, trusting Holy Spirit will be hard at work simultaneously translating for each of you what you need to hear on any given Sunday.
One of the implications of this style of preaching is I tend not to preach “to…

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…