Skip to main content

Today (how I deal with worry and stress)


Many people think that clergy and other people who "have a lot of faith" are somehow immune from worry and fear.

It's just not true.

In fact, because deeply spiritual people -- like writers and other artists -- also tend to be deeply intuitive people who absorb the even unspoken emotional sensitivities of others -- I'll bet they're subject to even more worry and fear than others.

The difference is in how they deal with worry and fear.

Here, at any rate, are two (healthy) ways I have learned to deal with my own worry and fear:

First, I remind myself of the wisdom offered by Stephen Covey.

"We each have a wide range of concerns," Covey writes, "and inside this "Circle of Concern" are things like our health, our children, problems at work, the national debt, nuclear war -- anything we have some mental or emotional involvement in."

But as we look at the things in our Circle of Concern, we realize there two types of things in there: 
  1. things over which we have no real control, and 
  2. other things we can actually do something about. 
The things in the second group -- the things we're concerned about AND
about which we can do something -- are in in our "Circle of Influence." 

A fantastic way to reduce worry and fear is to spend most of our time and energy widening our Circle of Influence: to think about and work on only those the things you can actually do something about.  


 

For example: I am concerned about the outcome of Tuesday's election. In fact, I'm concerned about the future of our democracy itself. I can, and have, worried myself into fearful tears and sleepless nights about this. 

I can continue to do that. Or I can change my focus and ask myself "
what is within my circle of influence? -- what can I actually DO?" and then choose to spend my time and energy there. 
  • I can vote, and I can encourage others to do so (or not to do so, depending on who they'd vote for!)
  • I can decide when it is wise to be quiet and listen, and when -- such as in this sermon, I decided it would be Irresponsible to be Silent
  • I speak out about true patriotism -- such as in this sermon, when I preached on what our nation looks like when we are acting our best
When I do that -- to the degree I spend my time and energy expanding my Circle of Influence -- my worry and fears decrease. 

Every time. 

So ask yourself: "what's in my circle of influence?--what can I actually DO?" And spend your time and mental energy there. 

second way I combat fear and worry is by repeating a little saying I picked up some years ago (in fact I've been saying this so much lately it's become a little mantra). And it's this: 

The difference between "false religion" and "true religion" is this: False religion says, "Do not be afraid: that which you fear will not happen to you." True religion says, "Do not be afraid: that which you fear may well happen to you: but it's nothing to be afraid of." 

I can spend a lot of time and energy worrying about things and events that may happen to my family or friends, to The Falls Church Episcopal, to this nation, and to other people and things I love and devote myself to. And as explained above, I can reduce that worry and fear by expanding my circle of influence. 

Even so, damnit, I have only so much influence, and the things I fear still might well happen. 

But faith -- faith in a loving, powerful, redeeming and involved God -- means that even those things happening is nothing to be afraid of. 

That's because the source of our joy -- the source of our comfort, the source of our courage -- is NOT some superstitious guarantee that things will always go the way we want them to, but Immanuel: God-with-us. As we must remind ourselves on a daily basis, no matter who you are or what you are doing, you a creature in the midst of God's creation; you are not alone; God knows all about this; God cares about what you are experiencing, and God equips and empowers and encourages, often through the lives of others.  

As I remind myself daily, the single best way to combat discouragement and despair is to spend time on a daily basis recounting those things in the past 24 hours for which you are grateful. Because "even the most harrowing day includes some good moments, if only we take the trouble to look - it might be the sight of a raindrop falling, or the fact that I can see at all. When people attempt this exercise, they are usually surprised at the number and variety of good moments in the day which otherwise would have been quickly forgotten - obscured, perhaps, by any painful experience in the day." 

And finally, as my wife Mary, and the author Gregory Boyle and A.A. Milne and the ancient spiritual gurus and for that matter Jesus himself reminds us, the best antidote to being stressed and overtired is to live in the day you are in: to return to the present moment. 

Most of our mental stress does NOT come from the present: most (nearly all of it) is either regrets over yesterday, or worrying fears about tomorrow.  

Thing is, we don't live in either the past or the future. We live in the present. 


And not only is the present moment the only moment you have any influence over, it's the only moment where true joy can be found. 

Today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Unpack One Trump Tweet on Refugees

No one can  -- and I certainly don't want to try -- to unpack every tweet the person currently holding the office of President of the United States sends out.

No one has the time to respond to every one of his tweets on just one issue. Although I wish I had the time on the issue of the Executive Orders recently issued in regard to refugees.

But every so often I feel I MUST respond to at least SOME of those tweets, lest I grow accustomed to them as normal. And I refuse to normalize the abnormal. 

Take one of Saturday's tweets, for example: in response to Judge Robart's temporarily stopping an Executive Orders, there was this: 



“What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?” 

Let's unpack: 

"What is our country coming to..." 
Does that lament sound familiar? Ask yourself: who often says it, where do you hear it from the most? Is it a positive, hopeful line of thinking? I wil…

The Beatitudes, Lady Liberty, and Refugees

A sermon preached January 29, 2017
The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector
The Falls Church Episcopal

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

“Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

“Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the p…

The Best Posture of this Country

A sermon preached September 6, 2015

The Rev. John Ohmer, Rector The Falls Church Episcopal Falls Church, Virginia
James 2:1-17 Mark 7:24-37
In case you’re confused by the service leaflet, where it says Kelly is supposed to be preaching today, well, she was, and she was planning to. But yesterday she came down with the stomach flu, and of course we encouraged her to stay home until she’s 100%.  
(And to think I came this close to getting out of having to preach on a couple of very tough passages…)
(Kelly’s sermon, by the way, was written well ahead of time and is, as we have already come to expect, excellent. And inspiring – I was inspired reading it.* Hard copies are available, and will be made available on line.)  
What you’re going to get from me today is a little different than a normal sermon.
Today I want to tell you a story – a bit of my own family history -- and then read you a poem. And then show you how I think that story and the poem relate to today’s lessons and to current events.